February 1, 2012

Poem: The Master Weaver’s Plan

Some writings are considered classics. They endure the test of time and are worth going back to and rereading time and again. The poem The Master Weaver’s Plan is a Christian classic and was quoted by Corrie ten Boom as she traveled and spoke around the world.

As far as I know, the author of this poem is unknown (corrected below), but whoever wrote it has conveyed a reassuring message that has touched many hearts and lives through the years. I pray it will be a blessing to you today as you read it once again or discover it for the first time.

Master Weaver Poem Image

My life is but a weaving
Between the Lord and me;
I may not choose the colors–
He knows what they should be.

For He can view the pattern
Upon the upper side
While I can see it only
On this, the under side.

Sometimes He weaves in sorrow,
Which seems so strange to me;
But I will trust His judgment
And work on faithfully.

‘Tis He who fills the shuttle,
And He knows what is best;
So I shall weave in earnest,
And leave to Him the rest.

Not ’til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needed
In the Weaver’s skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.

~ Benjamin Malachi Franklin

Update, 2/9/2012: At the time this post was published, we were not aware of the author of The Master Weaver’s Plan.  Since that time we have received information that the author was Benjamin Malachi Franklin 1882-1965. He wrote the poem in the late forties. It was first published in ‘The Memphis Commercial Appeal’ newspaper in 1950, per his grandson Bob Corley.

Comments:

25 Responses to “Poem: The Master Weaver’s Plan”

1. Sandra Crittenden February 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM #

What ever the Master Weaver have for my life I thank Him because He knows what’s best for me. I know I do not understand the things that happens in life but I know that the Master Weaver is weaving the best for us. Praise His Holy Name!!!!

2. Lynn February 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM #

This will always be a favorite poem for me. When I read it, I feel more accepting of the trials and triumphs in my life because I know it is in God’s plan for me.

3. Paul Stroud February 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM #

Great! I used this years ago in a sermon but had lost my copy. So good to have it again.

• christine vercellotti April 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM #

Such a beautiful and thoughtful work. This s how we sh feel regarding our life here.

4. LM February 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM #

Thanks, Roy. Your last few posts have been an encouragement to some of the recent things I have been facing. God bless you. Thanks for your prayers and encouragements. Be blessed in Him today.

5. Clara Morrison February 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM #

Thank you for this poem. Right now He is weavering
    me into His plan. May God continue to bless you, your
    family and ministry.

6. Peggy Parker February 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM #

My brother is in stage 4 of bladder cancer it is also in his liver, stomach, bladder, and we don’t know where else. I was down there yesterday and he is in very poor state. But he has heard this and wants it read at his funeral. I thought this was strange because I have had it for some time and then as I went to read your column today this was in it. Thanks things are happening kind of surprising every day.

7. Ingrid Visser February 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM #

My mother, who was a great weaver, had this poem hanging in her home, and it is well known and appreciated in our family, and has great meaning throughout the bright as well as dark threads of our lives! She now has experienced the unrolled canvas and “knows the reasons why”. Thank you for your great devotions, challenging, encouraging, and comforting us. Blessings on your day!

8. Peggy Parker February 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM #

i POSTED A NOTE YESTERDAY AND MY BROTHER DIED LAST NIGHT.IT WAS GODS PLAN THAT I SEE THAT YESTERDAY EVEN THO I HAVE COPIES OF IT ON HAND. I TOLD MY MINISTER THIS MORNING ABOUT THAT SHOWING UP ON THE DAY HE DIED AND HE WANTED IT READ AT HIS FUNERAL. AND HE SAID I LOVE THIS. IT IS IN GODS PLAN. THANKS PEGGY

9. Kathy C. February 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM #

The passage of time certainly reveals more of what He has woven into our lives, and helps me trust Him for what is to come, and I do know there has been a constant thread of love He has woven through my life, in the good times and the difficult ones.

10. Emily H. Lucas February 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM #

As I read this poem Looking back at the trials and triumphs in my life, it was difficult to see some as blessings, but when the threads become a pattern, that was GOD’S plan for me. All blessings through sorrow and joy. Thank you for being an encourager, an up-lifter on down days with your devotions. Blessings to You

11. dee February 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM #

well written., he is the master weaver, and I need to rest in his
    gallery of life..sometimes it gets hard to wait to see what he is weaving, but we can rest assured that once its complete, it is a finished product like none other.

12. David February 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM #

This is a wonderful poem.Indeed,He who determines the season of life knows which one is best for us.Pls. continue with this great work.The reward shall not elude you.

13. Michelle Angelini February 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM #

This poem is so beautiful, characterizing my life so well. Sometimes I don’t know where my life is going, but God does. In this difficult time of my life (one among many) I feel closer to my Lord than ever. I have been experiencing both physical and financial problems for quite a long time, but each day I get up and put one foot in front of the other because I know this is what God wants me to do, rather than staying in bed and giving up. I thank God for the strength He gives me.

14. Shelter53 February 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM #

Words cannot express how truly grateful I am for this site. I “stumbled” upon it about a month ago and it has been a place to “lie down in green pastures, and be restored” Thank you so very much for your faithfulness. God’s richest blessing to you and yours!

15. Jeanne Bowser February 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM #

Yes. Today is painful since my back went out this morning… It’s both humbling and,well difficult to be sitting all day not able to go to work.

16. Stephanie May 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM #

This poem was written by Grant Colfax Tuller (1869-1950) and is entitled “The Weaver”

17. Connie Rae August 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM #

This was one my Grandmother quoted often and I learned it by heart. I enjoyed knowing that Corrie Ten Boom quoted it, too. Two inspirational women in my life. Thank you.

18. SR NAVA September 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM #

The poem quoted here is an updated version, not really much like the original which was written in old English, I have been enjoying this poem for over 50 years and was surprised to see this “strange” version!
    The following is what I thought was the entire poem but I see that this version is much longer.

My Life is but a weaving
    between my Lord and me;
    I cannot choose the colors
    He worketh steadily.

Oft times He weaveth sorrow
    And I, in foolish pride,
    Forget He sees the upper,
    And I the under side.

Not til the loom is silent
    And the shuttles cease to fly,
    Shall God unroll the canvas
    And explain the reason why

The dark threads are as needful
    In the Weaver’s skillful hand,
    As the threads of gold and silver
    In the pattern He has planned.

19. Nancy October 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM #

I remember having a newspaper clipping with this longer version of The Weaver in my desk, but have since lost that clipping so have been looking for it now for a long time. This is the first time I have seen (what I call) the right version. It would be nice to know who really penned it in the first place. Even on the “Find a Grave” website for Benjamin Malachi Franklin he is given credit for the poem, but the one that is written out is the short version, not this one! I guess what is safe to say is that the author has since passed into glory but has left us with a wonderful poem that tells us all…..we are NOT in control. Thank you for the space to speak my mind.

20. Brian T June 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM #

The date of this poem i think is incorrect as I can remember this being on our mantlepiece during the 2nd world war. So I think it must have been nearer towards 1940

21. Billy Porter November 22, 2013 at 4:21 AM #

My late mother had this wonder poem among some of her cherished items she had in a box. And I recall a copy inside her Bible she often read.
    As a hobby she would card lamb’s wool to make if fluffy; then used it on a spinning wheel to make thread and also had a loom in which she would weave beautiful items from the thread; then make her own dyes of various colors for the items. Afterwards she gladly gave the homemade items to her children. My mother, though I miss her bodily, she is spiritually wavering wonderful things for GOD Almighty and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

22. Nada Northern December 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM #

I first heard this at a funeral some years ago and was so blessed and encouraged by it. When someone passes we all want tp encourage the family left behind but do not have the words to say. This poem says it all. Not only are we not in charge…but we know who is and that he loves us and wants the best for us. It also tells us that things are not out of control…but that they are beingng controlled by someone that loves us very much and there is actually a plan for us.

23. JM February 23, 2014 at 5:15 AM #

My best friend went to be with the Lord yesterday. How comforting to know that she can now see the ‘other side’. She was in her 40s and loved the Lord. Died of cancer. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

24. Judy Rutkoske March 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM #

Thank you for sharing this. it has always given me comfort and helped me to trust the Lord more. i am going to share it with the women in jail that i minister to each week. i want them to know how much God values them and that He does have a plan for their lives.