November 16, 2012

Hiding Place

Although the following poem was written over 200 years ago, it still speaks powerfully to us today…

Hail, sovereign love, which first began
The scheme to rescue fallen man!
Hail, matchless, free, eternal grace,
Which gave my soul a Hiding Place.

Against the God that built the sky
I fought with hands uplifted high—
Despised the mention of His grace,
Too proud to seek a Hiding Place!

Enwrapt in thick Egyptian night,
And fond of darkness more than light,
Madly I ran the sinful race,
Secure—without a Hiding Place!

But thus the eternal counsel ran:
Almighty love, arrest that man!
I felt the arrows of distress,
And found I had no Hiding Place!

Indignant Justice stood in view;
To Sinai’s fiery mount I flew;
But Justice cried with frowning face,

This mountain is no Hiding Place!
Ere long a heavenly voice I heard,
And mercy’s angel soon appeared:
He led me, with a beaming face,
To JESUS as a Hiding Place.

On Him almighty vengeance fell,
Which must have sunk a world to hell!
He bore it for a sinful race,
And thus became their Hiding Place.

Should sevenfold storms of thunder roll,
And shake this globe from pole to pole,
No thunderbolt shall daunt my face,
For Jesus is my Hiding Place.

-Major Adre

Comments:

9 Responses to “Hiding Place”

1. Kathy @ In Quiet Places November 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM #

Deeply thankful I can hide in the shelter of His arms!

2. ruth November 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM #

Where else can I go, only Jesus has words of eternal life !

3. Maysel Vogler November 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM #

I am so blessed by your daily e-mail. Quite a while ago you did one on the holiness of God that I loved and printed off. I have been looking for it and can’t find it. Would you mind rerunning it or sending it to me separate so I could enjoy it again. Thanking you in advance. Maysel

4. Rich November 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM #

Oh! This is one of my favorite poem!
    Christ is my only shelter, my rock… and Hiding Place!
    Thanks Roy
    May God bless you and keep you in His care always.
    Christ’s blessings
    In Beloved

5. Ernie Atkinson November 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM #

9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:9-11

6. Marinalva Sickler November 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM #

I’m so glad Jesus is my hiding place. I delight myself in the Lord every time I receive your messages. I don’t miss one. Peace

7. Marisol Vias November 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM #

No other there is nobody like Jesus the shelter and blessed assurance to keep us all.

8. Terry & Pat Lampel November 19, 2012 at 4:35 AM #

THank you, Roy, for sharing that wonderful, gripping poem. You can almost envision the author as he/she bares his soul & gladly boasts of his secure hiding place in the Lord!

9. karyn November 19, 2012 at 5:19 AM #

JESUS is my hiding place as well.