February 1, 2013

The Closing

Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT

I recently went through a real estate closing on a property I had owned. As long as I owned the property it was mine to do with as I pleased. It was my domain. I had the key to get in and could have influence over it for as long I wished.

When I decided to sell, I put the property on the market and listed it with a realtor. A buyer was found, and even though a closing date was set, the property was still legally mine.

The day I closed on the property my relationship to it completely changed! The title company made it clear that the property was no longer my own. At the closing I had to turn over all the keys. The new owner was now in charge. I no longer had any legal right to enter the property or do with it as I pleased. “The final say” was in someone else’s hands and they could do with the property whatever pleased them, whether I approved or not.

As believers, our lives can be likened to the closing of a property. When we were living outside of the Salvation of God and the Lordship of Jesus Christ, Satan had a legal claim on us as the god of this world. We lived in his domain and we lived under the influence of the powers of darkness and despair. The enemy delighted in having his way with us through his lies and deceit. In many ways, we were powerless to overcome his demands and reverse his downward pull upon our souls.

But when we heard the Gospel and said “yes” to Jesus’ call upon our lives, everything changed! His blood brought us into a new covenant. It was His blood that paid the full price for our redemption. We became His purchased possession and Jesus took over the ownership of our lives. Satan lost all legal claim and we were no longer subject to the enemy’s domain.

Today, we are the Lord’s possession and He takes good care of what is His. As the new owner, Jesus has sent the Holy Spirit to reside and abide within us and to keep our house clean and fit for the Master’s use. We can thank God that He has placed our lives under His management and that we are under His daily care. He is now working in us to will and to do all that is pleasing to Him.

Comments:

6 Responses to “The Closing”

1. Linda Earwood February 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM #

What a beautiful presentation of God’s love for each of us. Thank you for the wonderful devotions which help me begin my day in peace and joy.
    Linda Earwood

2. Irene Brillhart February 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM #

A wonderful devotional!! Thanks and praises to the Lord for changes, especially the change in ownership. How great is it that when we accept Christ, satan no longer has any claims on us and we have the right to oppose him in whatever he tries to do or say to us.

Thank you, Jesus!!

3. Nancy Minsky February 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM #

I like that. Well done, good and faithful servant. I like that phrase: reside and abide within. Good rhyme; good sense; where the wise walk. Thank you for your devotional thoughts. God bless you.

4. ann buie February 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM #

Thank you Lord!!!

5. Emery Smith February 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM #

A change of ownership brings a change of mind. We may continue as stewards but He has given us new life in exchange for the keys of our own way. This is hard to comprehend in the natural, it sounds even like voluntary slavery but for those of us who have tasted the meals He prepares, it is FREEDOM!

6. SMS February 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM #

I praise the Lord for every day devotion you send, it’s always the
    answer what ever in my mind, I feel that the Lord have spoken through
    your words or his words, thank you so much and may God continue to
    bless you and your ministry to his people.

In Christ,