April 19, 2013

He Lifts Me Up

201304.Roaring River.mjb1

There’s a chorus from an old worship song that says, “He’s always there when things go wrong; He’s always there when my hope is gone; He lifts me up when I’m in prayer; He’s never gone when I’m alone, He’s always there.”

I have had six different surgeries in my life, some of them major, all of them difficult to go through and slow to get over. Recently, my wife went through her first surgery, and a major one at that! This time our roles have reversed. She is now the patient and I am the caregiver. Wow, what a difference being on this end of things! I am learning far more as a caregiver than I ever did as a patient.

One of the things is the importance of providing a helping hand (literally). My wife has experienced a lot of weakness during her recovery. An important part of the recovery process is for her to lie down and rest. The difficulty comes when she needs to get up. She doesn’t have the strength to pull herself up, and it’s at these moments that she will call out my name to come and help. She needs the strength of my hand taking a firm, but gentle, hold of hers. Unless I am there to lift her up, she is not able to get up.

What do we do when we find ourselves crushed from the pain of a difficulty in our lives, when the weight of it brings us down, and in our weakness, we realize we do not have the strength to lift ourselves above it? Be assured, there is a Name we can call upon, there is Someone who is near, there is a strong hand reaching out to take hold of ours, and ever so gently, lifting us up to stand again.

This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. Psalm 34:6 AMP

‘Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10 NKJV

Comments:

8 Responses to “He Lifts Me Up”

1. karyn April 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM #

Wow. I dunno. Just lie still. The thing for me is I’m a lie down person or a sit still person anyways. So, what would I do. Just sleep and dream and see JESUS. Wow. This is a different experience for me to know. Thanks.

2. MARY VINE April 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM #

Everyone I know, is in some type of battle. God truly is “our ever present help in time of need.”

3. Debbie April 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM #

Thank you, Roy, for giving us such a clear picture of what God does, how He lifts us up. Praying for your wife and you! God bless you!

4. Sandra Crittenden April 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM #

The Father does raise us up. He gives us strength we think we do not have. Then with that strength we can do all that is ask of us.

5. suzanne April 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM #

thank you for sharing your heart with us. It means so much to me. I am recovering from an injury and had to call my husband too. It is a humbling experience. Yet God keeps letting me know He hears my cry. Isn’t it good to know Him and love Him? He knows my heart, and loves me in good health and not so good. And I can rest under the shadow of His wings.

6. Frances April 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM #

Roy, So sorry your wife is having difficulties. Hope & pray she gets better soon! I understand completely as I am having chemo treatments due to cancer and sometimes I am very weak. My husband got a hand bell that I can ring to let him know I need his help. Perhaps this would help you, also. Praying God’s abiding presence for you both. In Christian love.

7. m barbara duris April 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM #

As a caregiver I can completely relate to his situation with his wife. Even more is the connection to Our Lord, Jesus, lifting us up when we feel that we no longer have the strength on our own. Praise God for loving us so much!

8. Margaret Polino Nicholas April 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM #

You are going to spoil us Mn