August 28, 2013

Fear and Discouragement, Two Defeated Foes

Godwillgo.mmitm.mjb

Fear ties you up; discouragement ties you down.
Fear says “you’d better not do it”; discouragement says, “it can’t be done.”
Fear trips you up; discouragement keeps you from getting up.
Fear wants you not to begin; discouragement wants you to quit.
Fear avoids the battle; discouragement throws in the towel.
Fear gives you the chills; discouragement gives you the blues.
Fear shuts you down; discouragement shuts you off.
Fear paralyzes; discouragement demoralizes.
Fear waves the flag of danger; discouragement waves the flag of defeat.
Fear deters; discouragement disqualifies.
Fear wants you to worry about the future; discouragement says you have no future.

What can you do when you encounter one or both of these spiritual foes? Don’t give in and don’t give up. Listen to the voice of the Lord, and not to the voices of fear or discouragement.

Here is what the Lord says…

Be strong and courageous! For you will lead these people into the land that the Lord swore to their ancestors he would give them. You are the one who will divide it among them as their grants of land. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” Deuteronomy 31:7-8 NKJV

Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1 NKJV

God’s answer and provision against these foes are strength and encouragement. It is His strength that makes you strong; it is His presence that gives you encouragement. The Lord is your strength; be strong in the Lord; encourage yourself in the Lord.

Here are some clear and certain promises stated in Deuteronomy 31 and Isaiah 43 that make His strength and encouragement a reality for you today:

• God will go before you.
  • God will be with you.
  • God will not fail you.
  • God will not abandon you.
  • God knows you, claims you, and calls you His own.
Comments:

17 Responses to “Fear and Discouragement, Two Defeated Foes”

1. Eva Kristiaman August 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM #

Thanks so much, Roy, so true. “fear” and “discouragement” are under “the lie” and the father of “the lie” is our enemy, satan, both are his flaming arrows. So we have to put everything under “faith” and “the truth” and the Father is our Father in Heaven, He is the One who able to set us free.

2. LM August 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM #

Thanks, Roy.

3. Ann van Vallkenburg August 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM #

So well put Roy, and what I needed to hear. Thanks

4. igeenell August 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM #

This devotion has really blessed my soul.

5. Naomi August 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM #

I really like this one! Thanks so much for posting! Blessings

6. Maureen Lobo August 29, 2013 at 3:26 AM #

That was really so good to read for assurance always – thank you very much
    Roy
    God bless you
    Maureen Lobo
    August 29, 2013 1.55 pm

7. Suedania August 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM #

Amen! Amen! Amen! Why it stops on Aug. 28 I need this everyday!!!

• Marina August 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM #

No need to worry! We are not stopping on Aug. 28 – God’s good Word will continue to be shared here! Thanks for your encouraging “Amen!” – mjb

8. Rebekah August 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM #

Thank you so much for this encouragement! This met me exactly where I am today, at this moment. I just go out of court and was feeling totally discouraged and fearful of the future, but this message from the Lord strengthened me!

9. Des August 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM #

Amen… Thank you so much…
    So true… This strengthened me in doing the right thing… Not fearing people!!!! Please not man but God alone..=)

10. karyn August 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM #

Actually, when fear grips me I just want to give up. Give it all up. To be honest, it’s not a very good place to be for me. It’s when I think to myself, it’s time to be with JESUS.

11. Ann todd August 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM #

Whom shall I fear, but the fear of The Lord!!!!!!!!!!

12. carla kropp August 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM #

Wonderful words of encouragement and so needed right now as I struggle with a health issue. I am so grateful to Him for His obedient children and I thank you for being one of them and for imparting His words to minister to us.

13. greg September 1, 2013 at 5:50 AM #

again thank you roy for such encouraging words sent on the 28/8/2013

14. Shiko Mburu September 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM #

I thank God for you. He has spoken to me through you and I thank Him and you for uplifting my spirit just when I needed it. Thank you Lord

15. molly September 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM #

God Blessyou for such inspiring and encouraging messages at the right timings of the day .We love you Jesus

16. Susie Smith August 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM #

That was so inspiring, After all that I’ve
    been through, lately, I truly needed to see and
    believe that! I’m gonna share this!!!