January 29, 2014

A Caregiver’s Greatest Need

Caregivers

What is a caregiver’s greatest need?

It is not skill, although it is a good to get all the training possible.
It is not perfection, although it is good to do your very best.
It is not resources, although it is necessary to have the right supplies and aids.
It is not support, although it is important to have help and encouragement.
It is not more time away, although it is important to take breaks, have leisure time, and be refreshed.

The greatest need of a caregiver is love.

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.  1Corinthians 13:13 NJKV

Love is the fountain from which care, at its deepest level, flows. Love at this level is something far beyond what human love can give. Human love, although sincere and sacrificial, has its limitations and weaknesses. God is the only source of love without limits and whose love does not fail. God’s love flows on when human love has been expended, and the resources of His love will never be depleted.

Through faith, God’s love can be depended upon, leaned upon, and drawn upon. Through the Holy Spirit, God pours out His love freely into the needy heart of a believing caregiver (Romans 5:5).

The fruit of His love is like a cluster of grapes that brings forth the sweet wine of joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

God, only Your love can do what my love cannot do, and only Your love can be what my love cannot be. I am in need of Your unfailing and limitless love. Love through me today. By faith, I ask You to pour forth, through my heart, love’s sweetest wine of kindness, patience, longsuffering, gentleness, and self-control. Be in me the love that never stops hoping, never stops believing, and never comes to an end. Amen!

Comments:
Tagged:

9 Responses to “A Caregiver’s Greatest Need”

1. Peggy Wood January 29, 2014 at 10:31 AM #

Good MorningRoy,
    This devotional is amazing. I have a heartbeat for Caregivers and pray for them. I was my Mom’s primary caregiver and was blessed to care for at home before she made her transition this past July.

I am so blessed by your devotionals and words of encouragement. I thank God for your ministry and for the heartbeat you have to share your gift.

Keep praising & blessing, may God be you.

Eternally Grateful,
    Peggy

• Tamath Knauber January 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM #

Hi Peggy, Your message is so true and touching! Thank-you for bringing forth this message may others use it to be encouraged to not give up in spite of adversity. I think I may of worked with you Peggy? UCPA? God Bless. Keep The Focus on the Holy, Almighty Father.

2. Sandra Crittenden January 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM #

LOVE!!! LOVE!!!! LOVE!!!!

3. karyn January 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM #

4. Eva Kristiaman January 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM #

God is so good and He gives His answer in His time for what I need the most, the right answer I received and read this morning. Currently I am a caregiver for my parents. Thanks so much again, Roy!

5. Gail Boggs January 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM #

I have been a care provider Since June 24,2003. It will be 11years in June. It gives me A wonderful feeling inside knowing that I am helping others to live out their lives to the fullest. I am debating weather or not I want to continue this kind of work or not. Because in the past I found myself getting attached to some of my clients. And that is rough on a care provider. I guess it is just I care about my job and I am a very loving person. What more can I say or do?????????

6. Renee January 31, 2014 at 8:22 AM #

This is perfect! I was the ‘caregiver’ for my husband for 3 years and the last 3 months he lost the ability to walk and remained in a chair and then for the last 3 weeks into hospice. As I look back I know it was God who carried me through this time and it was LOVE that he needed most from me and God’s love flowed through me and through all of the caregivers who volunteered each day to care for him. Now I will share this with my neighbor who will be the caregiver for his wife who was just diagnosed with cancer. This was God’s perfect timing. Thank You!

7. Tamla January 31, 2014 at 9:52 PM #

This is such a blessing to read while helping to care for elders in our family. Thank you; also, we’re likewise privileged to learn of your testimony in Christ, as we listen to the final chapters of “Gone The Golden Dream”, may The Lord continue to bless you!

8. Aileen Teo February 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM #

AMEN!!! LORD JESUS, love through me. Only Your love is limitless, unending. I cannot, but You can.
    Thank You, LORD!