January 10, 2014

A Journey Into Joy, Part 3 of 3

withjoyyouwilldrink.mmitm.mjb

With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation! Isaiah 12:3 NLT

A few years ago I heard the Holy Spirit speak these words to my heart…Don’t say “no” if you hear me saying “yes”. This was a reminder to me of how important it is to be a good listener and to pay attention to what the Holy Spirit is saying.

When I heard these words, it was very clear to me why the Lord was saying them. Due to a voice condition I had developed when I was in my late 30’s, it became extremely difficult to speak in public. Saying “no” to speaking invitations became a normal response. I lived this way for over 20 years.

One day, while sitting through a church service, this question came to mind, “What if the person preaching today happened to be you?” The thought terrified me. There was no way I could do such a thing. The thought kept me uneasy throughout the day.

Several weeks later, one of the pastors from the church I was attending, made an appointment to see me. During our time together he asked me the following question, “We are soon to begin a new sermon series in our church and we would like you to bring the opening message.” My flesh immediately wanted to say “no”, but before I could give my answer I heard the Spirit’s voice telling me “say yes”.

Although my “yes” answer went against what my flesh wanted to do, God’s peace quieted my heart and calmed my fears. In that moment, I took a faith step of obedience that brought me the joy of pleasing Him. I didn’t fully realize it at the time, but this step of obedience allowed me to discover a new found freedom in public speaking that has continued to this day.

How do you begin your journey into joy in the coming year? You begin by taking a simple step of obedience. Is there anything God is asking you to do that you have been putting off?

Perhaps God is asking you to surrender an area of your life that you have been trying to control; perhaps He wants you to release a burden that has been weighing you down; perhaps He is asking you to extend forgiveness to someone who has hurt you; perhaps it is time for you to say “yes” to something you have been saying “no” to for a long time.

What does your next step of obedience look like? Are you willing to take it? Are you ready to say “yes” and begin your journey into joy in 2014?

Comments:

10 Responses to “A Journey Into Joy, Part 3 of 3”

1. Anita Arul January 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM #

Thanks Roy, that was inspiring. I will learn to listen to HIS voice before making my decisions.

2. Loretta January 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM #

Wow – My one word New Years resolution is “listen”. Your devotion has confirmed my resolution! Blessings to you! Loretta

3. Betty January 10, 2014 at 12:53 PM #

Thank you for this….God did speak to me back in late August last year about beginning to write a blog. I didn’t begin till just last week. I am trying to listen to His voice and direction.

4. Grace January 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM #

I appreciate your message…I need to learn more about discerning His voice.

5. Clara January 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM #

I felt this way about ‘praying’ in public. Anytime I thought someone was going to call on me to pray, I would hold my head down. Always that fear of saying the wrong thing or wondering if someone would judge what I was saying. This all took place before I realized I was called and chosen. I knew within my heart God was talking to me. One day I said yes and the words began to flow. My ministry began as a teacher, some years later I was ordained and became an associate pastor. Today I am a pastor of a church in my city. I get to share my experience with many who are tolling over saying “yes” to the Lord.

Thank you so much for this series.

6. Holly Twedt January 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM #

Yes we willingly say YES to you Lord as you know what is BEST for our lives.
    Let us walk in humble obedience to your plan and purpose for our lives!

7. Glenda Mills January 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM #

Oh for the faith and obedience to say yes to the Lord when the flesh wants to say no. Thank you Roy for sharing these worthy thoughts.
    God bless you!

8. Lynne January 12, 2014 at 7:05 AM #

Thank you Roy, for your encouraging message! This came at a time I really needed it!

9. Beverly Martin January 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM #

Thank you Roy for this message. It started me to thinking.

10. MrsGYaya March 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM #

I am faced with this very situation. I am not comfortable in doing this, but I know the LORD WANTS A Yes! This opportunity is greater than I can conceive. I realize that whomever he sends he equips. I am trusting him as he uses me for his glory.

Thank you for this in-time on-time message. GOD Bless You!