February 12, 2014

A Caregiver’s Ministry

02122014.mmitm.mjb

Caregiving does not need to be looked at as something we get “stuck with” or merely a duty or an obligation we have to fulfill. Caregiving can be welcomed into our hearts as a ministry given to us by the Lord.

It may be a hidden ministry that goes unrecognized by many, but it is a ministry that is seen by the Lord and one that pleases Him. In its simplest form, Jesus recognized its value and importance when He said, “Whoever helps one of these little ones because they are my followers will truly get his reward. He will get his reward even if he only gave my follower a cup of cold water.” Matthew 10:42 ICB

In Matthew 25, Jesus brings to us the value and ministry of caregiving when He said, “I was sick and you visited Me with help and ministering care…then the just and upright will answer Him, Lord, when did we see You hungry and gave You food, or thirsty and gave You something to drink… and when did we see You sick…And the King will reply to them, Truly I tell you, in so far as you did it for one of the least [in the estimation of men] of these My brethren, you did it for Me.”

Jesus is completely identified with His children. No one can touch God’s people in any way, whether for good or for harm, without touching Him. An example of this is found in the life of the Apostle Paul. On the way to the city of Damascus, when Saul (Paul) was making war on those who were “followers of the Way” he had a direct encounter with the living Jesus. That day, Jesus said to him, “Saul, why are you persecuting me?”  Saul discovered that when he persecuted those who were following Jesus, he was also persecuting Jesus. From that day on, Saul became the man who ministered to Jesus by touching the lives of multitudes for their good and for God’s glory.

As a caregiver,

God will use your hands as an extension of His hands—to hold, to support, to embrace, to comfort, to bless, to help, to heal;

God will use your words— to encourage, to build up, to speak hope, to convey truth, to strengthen faith, to deepen trust, to impart love;

God will use your presence— to show care, to bring companionship, to wipe a tear, to sooth a pain, to dispel a fear, to rub a brow, to kiss a cheek, to hold a hand, to fluff a pillow, to reassure when there’s a setback, to celebrate when progress is made.

As God’s servants, the ministry of caregiving means that whatever it is we do to help another, even if it means the simple act of giving a glass of water to one of His children, the Lord receives it as a ministry done unto Him.

How blessed you are to be able to touch others for good and to minister unto the Lord in a way that makes His heart glad.

Comments:

10 Responses to “A Caregiver’s Ministry”

1. Sandra Crittenden February 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM #

THANK YOU!!!

2. JH February 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM #

Thank you for highlighting a much forgotten ministry. My husband I has been hospitalized and requires a lot of care and I consider it a joy to share God’s love as I am blessed to care for him!

3. Cindy February 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM #

Thank you for so eloquently elevating the special ministry a caregiver has in a world that often seeks to devalue it’s true worth.

4. Marsha February 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM #

Thank you… my heart and spirit so need to absorb these most supportive words. Thank you so much. ♥†

5. Rhonda Quaney February 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM #

I really appreciate this post. Thank you for the blessing.

6. Ronnie Jeane Lee February 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM #

Our church has a Caregivers Ministry and the devotions you have regarding caregiving have been so meaningful. We have Caregiving Teams that have a certain number of families or persons under their team that they are responsible to check on their needs, pray with them, visit and try to have a quarterly fellowship with the ones under their care. The Caregiving Team Leaders also meet and bring the needs(unless they are confidential)before the other leaders for additional prayer, suggestions, etc. The body as a whole will grow closer together knowing they have someone who cares. It is so easy to be caught up in our own little world overwhelmed with our own problems. Thank you for ministering to the body of Christ.

7. Kathryn Donley February 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM #

This was a lovely blessing. Thank you so much! My son has another surgery this coming Tuesday. If anyone wants to be praying for him, we’d so appreciate it!

8. Rev'd John Theobald February 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM #

God’s world is a messy place much of the time, though set amidst great beauty also. I met and had fellowship with one of your readers users in Uk some months ago in a bereavement crisis. I was able to care for her and help her through many woes in a strange land. To God be the glory.
    Retired Anglican pst aged 80 and still proclaiming God’s universal love and care.

9. Gail Tomashek February 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM #

Thank You for reminding me what a caregiver is about. I needed that encouragement. When I’m weak I can be made strong through the Words of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. Use me, mold me into what you want me to be. My father has dementia, his mind is gone a lot of the time. I pray that he will always remember how his kids and grandchildren love him. I’m praying that God will use me in the days he is still with us.

10. Glenda Good March 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM #

Thank you so much for this…my heart truly needed this. I am caring for my husband who has recently had a stroke and this turn of events has taken its toll on both of us. I joyfully care for him, but I become weary and worn, just the same. Thank you, Jesus for reminding me that You care and that everything done to benefit your children gladdens Your heart!!