July 30, 2014

Freeing Love

07302014.mmitm.mjb

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear. 1 John 4:18

You are looking forward to the coming of God’s Son from heaven—Jesus, whom God raised from the dead. He is the one who has rescued us from the terrors of the coming judgment. 1 Thessalonians 1:10 NLT

The fear of the Lord is a good thing for every heart to have. Our reverence, honor, and holy awe of God, motivate us to depart from evil and live clean lives that please Him.

A life of sin, rebellion, and disobedience toward God brings a different kind of fear into the human heart. It is the fear of standing before a holy and just God to give an account of our lives. This can be a tormenting fear. The Gospel of Jesus Christ brings to us the good news that the Lord, and He alone, has delivered us from this and every other kind of fear. Without the Gospel, the fear of being lost and separated from God would continue to hold each of us in its grip.

The freeing power of the Gospel is the power of love. Only the love of God can take fear by the nape of the neck and cast it from our lives.

What kind of love is God’s freeing love?
Perfect love!
Unconditional, eternal, undeniable, unchangeable, inexhaustible love.
Holy love.
Truth-love.
Promise-love.
Covenant-love.
Jesus’ love—redemptive-love, justifying-love, forgiving-love, atoning-love, salvation-love!

It is Christ who suffered for us, who took our death, who took our judgment, who took our separation from the Father and made our reconciliation to God possible.

Live in the daily assurance of His freeing love by living in Christ—It is in Christ that God demonstrates His freeing love for you; it is in Christ that God extends His redeeming love to you; it is in Christ that God imparts His righteous love to you.

Turn to His love.
Run to His love.
Receive His love.
Believe in the truth of His love.
Rest in the security of His love.

In the light of God’s freeing love, Edward Mote proclaimed, “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.”

George Robinson declared, “Loved with everlasting love, led by grace that love to know; Spirit, breathing from above, Thou hast taught me it is so. Oh, this full and perfect peace! Oh, this transport all divine! In a love that cannot cease, I am His and He is mine.

Horatius Bonar penned, “I hear the words of love, I gaze upon the blood, I see the mighty sacrifice, And I have peace with God.”

Anna Waring declared, “In heavenly love abiding, No change my heart shall fear; And safe is such confiding, For nothing changes here.”

Is there a proclamation you would like to make today about God’s freeing love in your life? Please share it in our Meet Me in the Meadow comment box…it would be a blessing to hear from you.

Comments:

24 Responses to “Freeing Love”

1. Brenda McCleary July 30, 2014 at 7:18 AM #

Growing up with a people-pleasing mother, many episodes of sexual abuse and add in 34 years of verbal/emotional abuse from a mentally depressed and angry husband…my life was and still is filled with fear. Yet, last year I left my abusive husband and am slowly learning to have a voice and to speak God’s truth about myself instead of standing under the banner of fear and condemnation daily. I have a long way to go and it is overwhelming at times as the old voices shout condemnation and the lies of God’s displeasure with me. Thank you for reminding me today that God’s love brings freedom!

2. Sarah.Kelley July 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM #

God’s living love so overflows my soul that even on days that I feel I have nothing left to give, His love still flows from me! He frees me from having to “feel” or “be” a certain way to be a blessing. He just overflows and lives and loves through me anyway. It takes a lot of pressure off because I realize it’s not about me, it’s about Him, and His supply of love and strength is endless! So love through me, Lord!

• Stacey July 31, 2014 at 10:26 AM #

God’s Love is simply AMAZING! Thank you for this devotional!

3. Margaret July 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM #

I truly did not know what love was until I met Jesus. Our world does not truly know what love is. I pray those who read this devo today would not see it as mere sentimentality, but that our great God would open hearts to be drawn to this genuine love and away from all the lies of what the world says is love.
    Thank you for posting this today.

4. Bunmi Duile July 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM #

Since the confirmation of the Ebola virus in Nigeria, everyone has gone hay-wire about it. But My Father’s Love is toooo merciful to let it be out of control. Infact, His Love is so reassuring for me, i know am the safety of everyone i come across… Truth is, perfect love indeed casts out all fears.

5. Nikki July 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM #

We cannot be reminded too much of how much God loves loves us.

6. Patricia Elston July 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM #

YOU ARE LOVED

Jesus loves you, do you know
    Well, I’ve come to tell you so.
    He loves you more than you can ever comprehend.
    His love for you is marvelous, and it will never end.

He loves you in the morning
    When your hair is all a mess
    He loves you when your circumstance is not the very best.

He loves you when your funds are more,
    or when they’re less.
    He loves you even when
    He puts you through a test.

Do you know how much He loves you?
    Can you understand His care
    Can you feel His love so strongly
    There’s enough for you to share.

Listen as He whispers to you so tenderly,
    “You are precious in my sight.
    You are My special treasure,
    And in you I take delight.

To love and be loves is a wonderful thing
    But to know that you are loved by the King of Kings
    Just seems to make each load a bit lighter
    And you just want to hold to His hand a bit tighter

So put your hand in His hand
    And know that you’re adored.
    Accept His grace and love for you
    And make Jesus Christ your Lord.

By Patricia Elston
    Biased on Ephesians 3:17-19

7. Thea July 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM #

Thanks so much for this post.

God’s freeing love is a current reality in my life and is for me a healing love. I have and continue to experience freedom from sin’s experience of envy, jealousy, fearfulness, hostility, selfishness and other self directed emotions as described in Galatians 5:20-21. Instead I have and continue to experience freedom to live the life of love (as described in Ephesians 5:1) and God’s planned experience of the abundant life of love, joy, peace, longsuffering and other fruit of the Holy Spirit(Galatians 5:22).

I thank God for your reminder that the freeing love and grace of God as demonstrated by his gift of Christ is the only healing balm that we will ever need. Thanks for allowing me to share today as I have been so blessed by the many posts of God’s love I have read in Meet me in the Meadow. God’s blessings on all who continue to put their trust and hope in Christ.

8. Marvin Peters July 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM #

My daughter who has stage 4 rectal cancer lives with us with her daughter. As a dad & mom we are to protect our children.Through God’s love He took me to my knees one morning & I cried so hard that I couldn’t even pray, but through that he spoke to me in a way that emptied me & gave me great peace. Through his great love has shown me that he has it in control. I PRAYSE GOD FOR HIS GREAT LOVE!!!!!

• Val Letenyei July 31, 2014 at 7:31 AM #

Praying prayers of healing for your daughter today!

9. LaPearl Smith July 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM #

“O Love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee
    I give Thee back the life I owe, And in the fullness may it flow
    So rich, so full and free.” That is the divine love that I experience everyday with Jesus. Even at my weakest and in all my faults and missteps, His love never lets me go. To Him be ALL the glory!

10. Dani July 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM #

I so needed to hear about this Love today… To break thru my darkness of depression… Thank you for sharing the awesome power and majesty of Jesus’ love!

11. Carl Anderson July 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM #

Thank you Roy – want to include Edvard Grieg’s “God’s son hath set me from Satan’s tryanny, from fear of death and hell’s hot fire,Lord Christ did intercede, with God for me did plead, He underwent my punishment,to torture death was sent, I cannot fathom Love so great, however much I contemplate, that he would be so merciful to me!!!

12. Jukka Vihko July 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM #

God’s Love is PERFECTLY freeing Love! Whom the Son sets free shall be free
    indeed! The Love of Our Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus has set us free from the demands of the law to live our new lives under the law
    of faith…faith in Jesus, His Word, His perfect sacrifice on Calvary’s
    cross! We,who were slaves to sin have become sons and daughters of the
    Living God, and as children, we can enjoy His Perfect Peace in our hearts!
    Hallelujah!

13. Sandra Crittenden July 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM #

THANK YOU FATHER FOR YOUR UNFAILING LOVE AND FOR MY BROTHER JESUS FOR LOVING ME SO MUCH THAT HE CAME FOR ME. LOVE SO DEEP YOU HAVE FOR ME MY HEART SINGS AND I FEEL YOUR COOL BREEZE ACROSS MY FACE. I LOVE YOU YOUR DAUGHTER AND SISTER!!!

14. Sharon Guenther July 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM #

That God loves me no matter what is sometimes too much to understand. But, without that love, I would find it hard to go on some days.

15. Ann van Valkenburg July 30, 2014 at 7:31 PM #

I so needed this today. His love never leaves your side.

16. Sarah.Kelley July 31, 2014 at 5:52 AM #

Yesterday I was in a big hurry when I read my MMITM devotion. It was even better when I read it last night, but this morning, your wonderful words brought Heaven down to my soul!! I pray someone is touched by my little poem – His love-so rich & free has overflowed my soul again & words come out like rain!

Set free!
    I am set free!
    No longer bound by sin & shame.
    Freed from fear,
    Freed from failure
    When Jesus’ love called my name!

Out of bondage
    Out of a life sentence
    Of judgement, sorrow & strife.
    His love reached down
    With tender mercies…
    Amazing love has saved my life!

• Eve Carvalho August 1, 2014 at 1:58 AM #

The poem was truly inspired by the Holy Spirit. Thank you.

17. Val Letenyei July 31, 2014 at 7:36 AM #

God your love is unfailing! Thank you for always being right, for always speaking truth, thank you for never leaving my side, for always protecting those I love. Your love is always there and Your love never fails!

18. bonnie August 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM #

I am just getting started with my first one week mission trip. It has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done. My mother got sick at Easter to the point of death, she is still very ill but hanging in there, there have been a lot of meetings over the trip, and then there has been a lot going on in our church, plus my husband losing his job, car problems, you name it, its happened. In the midst of this I started running from God. I couldn’t handle what was happening. So a lady going on the mission trip and myself decided to start praying. Last night we prayed at our homes at the same time. God came down and spoke me and showed me the core of the problem. Not sitting at His feet and my mother’s sickness has had a big impact. Having God speak words of encouragement to me was so freeing. Then I read the story and wanted to share.

19. Chryl August 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM #

Thank you so much, Roy, for bringing to light some of the rich and powerful words that live in the precious hymns that were penned by hearts on fire for the Lord. May they never be forgotten.

20. MEL ORTEGA August 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM #

We have “Blessed Assurance” that in the “Changing Seasons of Life” our GOD JEHOVAH HAS EMBRACED us w/the MANTLE OF HIS UNCHANGING LOVE!

21. Audrey August 6, 2014 at 4:37 AM #

Thank you for such a marvelous post. Perfect love casts out fear. No matter the circumstances, we can be rest assured of God’s perfect love for us. Glory to God.