August 13, 2014

“I Have a Promise”

08132014.mmitm.mjb2

Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. 1 Peter 5:8-9 NLT

How does the enemy come against us and seek to devour us? The following are three possible narratives that could have taken place in the lives of those who received God’s promises and had to overcome great testing before they saw those promises fulfilled.

The voice of doubt came to Abraham and said, “Abraham, what do you have? You are a stranger in a strange land. You don’t have any land you can call your own, or a permanent home to live in. There aren’t many of you in your family. You don’t have a son and you don’t have an heir.” And Abraham answered the voice of doubt with this reply. “I have a promise. It was given to me by the God who cannot lie. Things will not always be as they are at this moment.”

The voice of disappointment came to Joseph and said, “Joseph, what do you have? Your dream has turned to a nightmare. You are far away from home, your brothers have forsaken you, and you are bound to a strange land as a slave.” And Joseph answered the voice of disappointment with this reply, “I have a promise. It was given to me by God, the One who will not fail to fulfill everything He has revealed to me. The way things now appear are not the way things will always be.”

The voice of fear came to David and said, “David, what do you have? You aren’t big. You’re young. You don’t have authority over men. You’re not a skilled military leader or a solider. You don’t have battle tested armor, you don’t have a sword, and you are untrained. You will never make it. You will be slaughtered.” And David answered the voice of fear with this reply, “I have a promise. It was given to me by God, the mighty warrior. He is the Lord, my deliverer, and no one who taunts the living God can stand against Him! Things are about to change.”

Is there a promise from God that your heart is trusting to be fulfilled? If this is so, then do not be surprised if the enemy’s voice of doubt, disappointment, or fear has been speaking in your ear. How should you respond? Resist him. Stand firm in the faith. Remember, you have a promise! Things will not always be as they are now.

Comments:

26 Responses to ““I Have a Promise””

1. Sarah.Kelley August 13, 2014 at 5:32 AM #

You have given us a name for the nagging thoughts that come to us… They are the voice of doubt, the voice of disappointment, and the voice of fear. I hear those voices every day of my life! Thank you for giving us an answer for them all…”I have a promise! It was given to by God, who is a Promise Keeper! Things
    will not always be as they are now! His promise will be fulfilled, and things are going to change!!”
    I’m reminded of a pastor that used to ask from the pulpit, “Get it?” We’d answer, “Got it!” He’d say, “Good!!” Thank you for the message this morning, I “got” it !!! I’ll read it again tonite to firmly plant these great truths in my mind, but right now, I have to go to work!!

2. Sue Kinsman August 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM #

Drawing life from the source of life, His word and His promises. Thank you for this Roy, so beautiful I am in awe of the gifts God gives.

3. Margaret Duran August 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM #

Great message!! God has fulfilled all of His promises in my life, our greatest problem is that we fail to fulfill our promises to God!!

BE BLESSED TODAY!!
    Margaret

4. Dottie Morriso August 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM #

I have a promise! today’s message was one just written for me. God has made promise to me a long time ago and I will continue to wait upon the Lord! Thank you for renewing my faith today.

5. Joyce August 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM #

“Things will not always be as they are now”. What a great wake up call ! Just the blessed assurance I needed ! God promised to give us the desires of our hearts , He said “Ask and you shall be given” He also said “,,,,Seek and you shall find” Knock and the door will be open”. Seeking and knocking are ways of asking and I will continue to do it all until I received the promise of what I have been praying for.

6. Joyce Simmons August 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM #

What a awesome devotional this morning.
    We so needed this word of encouragement.
    God has not promised sunshine always,
    but HE HAS promised strength for the day!

7. Margareta Cronholm August 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM #

I am not sure about the promises of God. I understand that He promise to meet my needs. My situation is so difficult and odd now and has been for more than 13 years,and I know the Lord is training me for the future. I have a desire but am not sure God is pleased with that. I just wait and wait for His answere. I like your writings very much, thank you.

8. Sandra Crittenden August 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM #

BE GONE DEVIL FOR I HAVE A PROMISE FROM FATHER. THINGS ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE!!

9. Tania August 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM #

THANK YOU !!!!!

10. Becky August 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM #

Thank you for that. I am really struggling today. Again.

11. Sarah.Kelley August 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM #

Just reread your “I Have A Promise” devotional. This is just too powerful for my vocabulary! I can’t find the words to tell you how much this has helped me today! How I thank God for you, Bro Roy! I am so very thankful that I have the blessing of MMITM!

12. dora luevano August 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM #

Wow! How this message has spoken to my heart. I am presently in very difficult, and impossible situation, but I am here because of what God, in the past, promised. Thank you so much for being such a beautiful, and wonderful, instrument of God to speak His words to our hearts. Your ministry is priceless. God bless you so much more.

13. Linda August 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM #

Amen, so true. We walk by faith and not by sight. That’s a great nugget from God’s Truth!Thank-you!

14. Sharon Guenther August 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM #

What a blessing your words are. Gets my mornings off to a good start pondering His Word. Bless you, Roy

15. Sarah.Kelley August 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM #

Still holding on to “I HAVE A PROMISE!”

16. Mary Franceschini August 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM #

What a lovely reflection! I needed that today.

17. Mary August 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM #

My husband and I have been standing and believing for breakthrough in our business and finances. We keep saying that things are about to change, that these are small beginnings, but breakthrough is coming. The Lord told me sometime ago that when it comes, it will come suddenly to be ready. Things are about to change! Thank you for the encouragement and reminder that the way things look now are not the way they will be. His promises are “yay & Amen!

18. Sharon August 17, 2014 at 8:10 AM #

Praise and thanksgiving to God who is faithful to keep all his promises for in Christ Jesus they are Yes.

19. Beryl A August 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM #

Thank you Roy for this wonderful devotional. My faith is stirred. “I have a promise from the God that never fails, he’s always faithful, he’s my very present help. Things are definitely going to change for the best!” Whoopie

20. Darla Broadwater August 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM #

Thank you for reminding us of these wonderful promises our Father has given to us! I am currently at the lowest point of my life and holding on to these promises, also remembering that the Lord will use my situation for good and for His glory. God Bless you!

• Debbie August 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM #

Darla,

I can relate to your situation as I am going through my lowest point in my life, also. As I continue to put my faith and future entirely in God’s hands, He is fulfilling His promise to bring me out of it even if it is only in baby steps. I give praise and thanks for each baby step He see’s me through to the other side. May you find strength in God’s promise that “for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you”. God Bless you!!

21. Lucy Whatley August 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM #

Dearest Lord: Take away this pain inside and help your love to be my quide, for all along life’s roads I see pain and suffering all in front of me, I will take your hand and fight though each day seems like night your Love will walk in front me and clear the darkness for me to see As I walk through this evil Lord place in my hand a righteous sword made out of love and tenderness so I can do my very best, I will abide by your rules Dear Lord for those are our strongest tools to Love and cherish each alone as special beings of your own.. A poem from God through me thanks for the insight Lucy Whatley..

22. Nadine August 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM #

Thank you so much for the reminder that God keeps His promises! It strengthened my faith and helps me to carry on!

23. zeena singh August 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM #

These devotionals have helped me so very much over the past years. I just can’t express my thanks enough. I know it’s God’s love and guidance in my life. Just as I’ve had so many msgs speak directly to my heart, today’s too doesjust so..about my being where I am for a definite purpose and about how the devil whispers doubts . It is sooo true. I know deep inside that God is leading, and yet…there are moments of doubt. I hold on and wait on His promises, despite obstacles. I also have been seeing results of prayers answered every other day, and I know He is real and faithful.I do have one too many proofs in my life to vouch for it…but the devil works hard at trying to turn my head. I seek His word to me through your devotionals because they have truly been a source of great inspiration and has taught me much . I have progressed in my walk with the Lord, through these meditations . Thank you.

24. Ajitha Mendis August 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM #

Bro Roy – many, many thanks for those encouraging insights from the Lord;
    I need this Right Now, as I’m awaiting in Faith for the Lord to do a semi-miracle in an almost impossible situation!

THE LORD IS FAITHFUL TO KEEP HIS PROMISES; ALL PRAISE AND GLORY BE TO OUR AWESOME FATHER-GOD!

25. Diane Morgan September 2, 2014 at 5:21 AM #

WHAT A WONDERFUL REMINDER – SCRIPTURE GIVES US SO MANY PROMISES IF WE ONLY REMEMBER WHEN THINGS ARE GRIM. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BATTLED A REALLY HARD YEAR WITH SAD ISSUES WITH OUR GRANDCHILDREN AND CHILDRREN. THIS IS SO ENCOURAGING, TO REMEMBER THAT THINGS WILL NOT ALWAYS BE AS THEY APPEAR. WE ARE ENCOURAGED BY THIS READING TO LEAVE THINGS IN OUR FATHER’S HANDS. HE CONSTANTLY ASSURES US HE IS WITH US AND WILL NOT LEAVE US. THANK YOU FOR THIS TIMELY AND WONDERFUL REMINDER.
    DIANE